- Our Farm
- CSA Program
- Farmstand and Market
- Contact Us
The best part about being a family farm is inviting your family to our farm! Farm events are a great time for you to see where your fruits and vegetables are grown and find out more about your farmers. Unless otherwise noted, events are open to everybody, however please only visit us during scheduled events as we are a busy working farm.
Saturday, July 8, 15, & 22, 2017
10 AM to 2 PM
Time to make jam? Want to get the family out to see the farm? Just can’t get enough strawberries? We’re hosting a strawberry U-pick Saturdays, July 15th and 22nd, from 10am to 2 pm. Berries cost $2/lb (a flat weighs typically about 12 pounds). We will have empty flats available, or you can bring your own container to pick into. Contact the High Ground office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 254-4918 if you have questions. Cash or check only. We cannot accept credit cards at field events.
Location: High Ground home farm: 521 Harkins Slough Rd. , Watsonville
U-Pick Rules and Suggestions
We hope you enjoy your organic berry picking experience and the tasty rewards of your labor. We do ask that you follow some simple rules while you’re in the berry patch:
- Be sure to wear comfy, close toed shoes and long pants. It’s also a good idea to bring a jacket. Sometimes the breeze off the slough can be a bit chilly.
- First, check in with Jason in the farmstand and weigh any empty containers you brought for picking into, or pick up an empty flat(s) and/or baskets from him
- Once in the field, stay within the designated U-Pick area.
- Please stay within the furrows and don’t walk on the strawberry beds. If you want to get to the next row, walk to the end of the row you’re in to get to the next rather than stepping on or trying to jump over the bed.
- Pick only ripe fruit—it should be red all the way around.
- To pick, grab the berry with forefinger and middle finger around the stem and flick the berry back and in toward the plant with your thumb. It should snap off. Please do not pull the berry toward you, as this pulling can damage the roots of the plant.
- You can pick as much as you want, but please pay for your berries before you eat them.
- Strawberries cost $2.00/lb. When you are through picking, bring your berries back into the farmstand to weigh and pay.
- Now it’s time to enjoy your berries. Make your jam, desserts, or freeze the berries for future use. To freeze, we recommend that you wash the berries, cut off the stem ends, cut the larger berries in half, and pack them in freezer bags. Then you’re set for smoothies, desserts, or future jam making.
- Please instruct and guide children as necessary.
- Please observe any additional instructions from the Farmstand Manager. We reserve the right to ask people to leave if they are not following the rules.
- Have fun!!!
Past Farm Events
Photos from Harvest Festival 2013
Photos from Harvest Festival 2012
Video from Harvest Festival 2011
Video from Harvest Festival 2010
by Jeff Langholz: Harvest Festival Video 2010
Photos from Harvest Festival 2010
Photos from Harvest Festival 2009